Monday, August 25, 2008

Internet and Other Things

Today was a bit like waking up on Christmas morning and finding presents underneath the Christmas tree. My alarm woke me up at about 10 o'clock and as I was waking up I realized that I did not need to. I decided that I could fit in an hour of extra sleep so I did. Within 10 minutes I could faintly hear someone knocking on the door upstairs. At first I did not want to bother with it, then I figured that it could quite possibly be the cable guy.

I begrudgingly rose from my comfortable position and found a pair of pants to slip on. I forced myself up the stairs from the basement and looked outside. I was blinded by the morning light but I could see a figured walking across my porch. I opened the door and called to the man and instantly I knew it was him. He turned towards me with a cable reader in hand and utility belt around his waist. He was like a personal Santa Clause with sweet loot and gifts.

The half hour he took setting up the cable seemed unbearable. I could see that freedom was within my grasp. I no longer had to drive to the local truck stop to access the internet and I was eternally grateful. After he was done doing his work I promptly cracked open my Macbook and began enjoying the wonders of the internet once again. Never before have I felt so appreciative of having something. I finally know what can happen when you take something for granted.

No comments: